Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 27 – 29 No Cows On The Ice

Dear G, do you know what's your Ambassador Matthew Brown's favorite Swedish expression?
Ingen ko på isen. No cows on the ice. Back from the days when people were constantly thinking about their cows. Saying that when there are no cows on the ice there is nothing to worry about.
Come to think about it, that's pretty reassuring, isn't it?
Since I came back from Milan I've not had any specific cows on the ice.
Sunday I ran 9 k on the north side of the bay, thinking about no more important things than that there is no ice left at all … to place cows on. But one thing really struck me: every year I'm obsessed with melting snow. Wishing for spring, praying for degrees over zero, condemning and yelling bad words to the snow, the dirt and ice.
But when my prayers are answered I all of a sudden remember: Spring makes me so allergic! I am, in fact, poisoned by tree pollen, and more so than almost anyone I know.
I mean, how stupid can a person get?
Praying to be poisoned?
So I'm taking the strongest medicines against allergy there is – and I'm running.
Having a little asthma it feels as if I had put on 15 k when I run, or as I'm running in deep snow. But keeping lungs in shape is the best way to conquer (seasonal) asthma.
And when the trees are done those 15 k plus will be like 5 minus.
There are no cows on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment