Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Week 2 – The Age Of A Woman

And so it came, the huge leaving-for-vacation-and-8-hours-on-the-road day. I can proudly tell you that NO, we didn’t go to a McDonald’s drive inn for lunch – instead we brought a chicken salad with bulgur, avocado, melon, apple, beans and such.

We made it!

The first actual vacation day was, quite symbolic, the most important Swedish holiday – Midsummer eve. The true start of Summer for all Swedes, and also my birthday. I was almost born in the famous fashion designer Katja of Sweden’s garden, where my parents were invited for a midsummer party.Way back.Which leads me to thinking about ageing. I’ve always said birthdays are more about celebrating being blessed with another year of love&experience, rather than getting older. But still. Age also has to be considered.Though every birthday I experience not getting older, but that the difference between the age I know I have and the age that I feel that I have gets a little bigger.
It’s not even years I’m talking about, but decades!
Just one, tiny example: given the age of my children – what would be my most natural age: 45? 35? Or even 25?
Let me tell you: becoming a mom late in life means that you’ve… GOTTA KEEP IN SHAPE.
To confirm this little theory I was left alone with the children in a quite impractical house right as my husband had to get back to work. No dishing machine, an increasingly sore back, scary indoor stairs and a garden full of places to break a bold boy’s neck… doesn’t leave much time to enjoy the balcony sea view.

We had lots of sports scheduled: tennis every day at 11am and 1pm (when is lunch served?), later changed to 9am and 11am. This, however, didn’t include me, but the two oldest children. In this village, tennis parents enjoy gossip and cappuccino, no workout.

Asked several people to get a little help so that I could run just half an hour, but noone said yes. So I had to do with the running up and down those scary stairs.

Fortunately we had excellent weather, which also meant garden yoga and … the most wonderful, salt and refreshing sea swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment