Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 3 - A much needed Saturday


Dear C,
I am sitting by the fire, cozying up. My cold is still thriving and every muscle in my body hurts. This I don´t think is from the cold but instead from my Army workout yesterday. It is quite random but I heard through a friend about an American ex-marine who is does his version of an Army fitness regime. I thought I´d try and encourage some people from work to do it after school one day per week. So I volunteered to meet him and try it out. We met at Gardet betwee the American football goals (as it was fitting). I´d say I felt pretty good about it for the first 30 miutes. Then when he had me doing star jumps. That is not what he called it but in my field hockey days we called it that. Anyway it is really hard jumping up into a squat and then pushing your legs out and then literally jumping back up. My legs could do no more but I had to go on-after all he was a marine and I didn´t want to seem like a whimp. What I got out of it was that it is going to take more than running to get ready for the 30k ski. I need more total body strength and endurance. This leads me to the next 47 days and goals:
With the change in seasons I want to be realistic-especially when the clocks change. With work and the kids it will require some change. Including running some on a treadmill when necessary. I ready an inspiring nytimes article about running on the treadmill. Of course it is silly to compare Baghdad and Sweden but they both have extremes! So spinning, and strength training are in order. In addition, sitting in the sauna which will help relax muscles and keep me warm!
With this there are some things that are expected: like the disappearance of my spare tire. Also, I am going to stretch stretch and stretch some more! The comfort of my couch, a lovely fire, and some red wine and chocolate should come in moderation.
Today, I got out hoping that the run would help. No pain no gain. Right now it doesn´t feel that way...
PS Not sure about the army fitness. Will keep you posted,
XG

No comments:

Post a Comment